September 13, 2011
Mixtape Mixology #33: The Back to School Mix
For this mix we reflect upon the first signs of summer dying and fall emerging. School always brews up some pretty distinct memories for most… and I’ve tried to write this bit for awhile but everything always comes out mushy and nostalgic. I guess I can’t get away from the fact that I really liked school. School meant meeting up with friends and people you liked, but y’know, you never got around to hanging out with during the summer. It meant it would soon stop being so fucking hot. It meant you can obsess over some new girl and breakdown with your friends all their attributes. It meant you could dream about stuff you can do after it.
Top 5 Memories of School
1. Preschool – Playing He-Man with the girls who had My Little Ponies. I had He-Mans green tiger he rode around on, and he basically called the shots. Also, getting freaked out by The Neverending Story…. why the hell would they show that to a preschooler…
2. Kindergarten – Meeting my first great love, kicking my best friend in the face (accident), and getting talked to by the police.
3. Grade School – Y’know of all the memories… the one that sticks out the most is my German Dodgeball team winning the schoolwide tournament. We got pizza at an announcement at lunch. Ahhh…. when we were Kings….
4. High School – Football, Model United Nations, afternoons at Soft Tec with the Adam Sandler comedy CD, girls.
5. College – Studying abroad at Cambridge, Spanish Class 9/11 attack, all that knowledge, all that knowledge….